Cocamidopropyl Betaine (CAPB)
Cocamidopropyl Betaine (CAPB) is a liquid amphoteric surfactant derived from coconut oil. Easily water soluble in a wide pH range. No or faint odor. Water-soluble.
Contains 30% active substances (remaining 70% is water)
|Appearance||Clear yellow liquid|
|Usage rate||Can be added to formulas as is. Recommended use level 4-40% depending on desired foaming and cleansing effects. Include it in the heated water phase or cool down phase.|
|Applications||Body washes, shampoos, bubble baths, cleansing lotions, creams, hand soaps, baby products, hair conditioners, cream rinses|
|pH||4 - 7 (10% solution)|
|Why do we use it in formulations?||
Cocamidopropyl Betaine is a great co-surfactant that makes the overall surfactant blend milder. It helps improve flash foam and stabilize lather, and helps thicken some surfactant blends as it contains some sodium chloride. “It has a negative charge in alkaline products and a positive charge in acidic products like most personal cleansers. It is substantive when positively charged (in an acidic formulation), so it acts as a skin and hair conditioner, leaving behind a moisturized feeling after rinsing with no feeling of tightness.
Basically, it makes all things surfactant-y better, and more gentle. It also works well on its own as a gentle, low-lather cleansing agent.
|Strengths||It is inexpensive, easy to work with, and improves all surfactant blends by boosting lather and making them milder|